There’s a lot written about smoothies – not all of it helpful. There seems to be something of a holier-then-thou attitude on some of the blogs I read. Here are some of the myths that I regularly see…
- Smoothies have to be green to be healthy
- You have to put up with the taste
- You need use organic vegetables
- You have to drink them straight away
- You need to use an expensive blender / special equipment
- You need to have them every day
- You need to use exotic fruits and vegetables
- You should avoid sweet smoothies
None of these statements are true.
From where I sit – the most important thing is that you enjoy your smoothies and keep them up. So if that means doing them once a week – then that’s fine. If it means missing out the beetroot and ginger – then okay, miss them out – there are 1001 other ingredients you can use.
The benefits of even an occasional smoothie are huge. Especially for those of us that don’t eat a lot of fruit and veg. Even the simplest smoothie can be packed full of nutrients.
Smoothies won’t make you a better person. But they will provide you with a tasty, simple and straightforward way to get some of the best nutrients into your diet.
So – keep them fun and keep them up.