Normally I just use water when creating a new smoothie. However, that’s not the only liquid that you can use.
Here are a few ideas to spice up your smoothies…
- Fruit Juices: can be used to increase both the nutrients and the flavour of the smoothie. But beware, added sugars lurk in many of these.
- Cow’s Milk: works very well, has a neutral taste that allows the remaining ingredients to come through. Also, a great source of calcium.
- Soy Milk: a great source of protein and calcium, has no lactose or cholesterol, and lasts much longer than cow’s milk. A great alternative to those of us that are sensitive to dairy.
- Almond, Rice and Coconut Milk: are a great alternative to the others if you don’t want either soy or dairy products. You can even make your own – just throw some almonds, or coconut pieces, into the blender with some water and give it a 30 second blast. Very useful if you just want a little.
- Coffee: adds caffeine and a great taste. Goes especially well in desert smoothies.
- Tea: adds caffeine and antioxidants. Try green or black tea. Fruit teas are probably not the best idea – they seem a little redundant.
- Alcohol: a little added to a desert smoothie can take it into the realms of the divine.