Once you start adding spices to your smoothies – the possibilities are just about endless.
It’s really just a matter of trial and error. However, be warned: spices can be a matter of personal taste. So don’t use too much and don’t add too many. One is normally enough.
Keep it simple to start with and you can’t go wrong. You can always add spices to just part of your smoothie after you’ve made it – just to see what it’s like. Without risking that the whole smoothie will be ruined.
After a while you’ll start to know what you like and how much to put in. After that – the world is your oyster!
- Allspice – a complex and pepper taste, use sparingly
- Cardamom – enticing warm, spicy-sweet flavour
- Clove – uniquely warm, sweet and aromatic taste
- Cinnamon – a popular choice as most people like the taste
- Ginger – use sparingly, can also use fresh ginger
- Mace – similar to nutmeg, more delicate and slightly bitter
- Nutmeg – warm and spicy flavour, reminds me of mulled wine